Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for housing?
When the Public Housing, Section 8 or Verandas wait lists are open, an announcement and pre-application will be available on PGHA’s website to print out and complete.  Mail or fax to the address or number provided. PGHA no longer uses an online pre-application process.
Do you have emergency housing?
No. For emergency housing issues or concerns, please contact:

  • Charlotte County Homeless Coalition – 1476 Kenesaw St., Port Charlotte, FL.
    (941) 627-4313
  • *OR* Charlotte 2-1-1 for referrals 24 hours/7 days a week.
    2-1-1 or (941) 205-2161.
What are the Housing Authority's normal hours of operation?

The Punta Gorda Housing Authority office hours are Monday – Thursday 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM, or by appointment.

What are the income eligibility requirements?
Eligibility for housing programs is generally based on income and the size of the family. For more information about eligibility visit the specific program page on our website or check current income tables under Resources.
How much will my rent be?
For Public Housing, tenants have the opportunity to choose which type of rent they want to pay. Each tenant has the choice to pay rent based on their income or a flat rent option. If you choose to pay based on your income, your rent will be calculated at 30% of your monthly adjusted income. If you choose the flat rent option, your rent will be based on the apartment size.

For Section 8, your rent will generally be 30% of your adjusted gross income with some exceptions. Your case worker will explain the rent calculation to you in further detail.

I applied for Public Housing. How long will it take to get a response to my application?
Public Housing applications are processed in the order that they are received. You will be placed on the wait list and notified by PGHA staff when you approach the top of the wait list. You may check your position on the wait list at any time by calling 501-404-4133.
How do I find out my status on the Public Housing or Section 8 waiting list?
You can check your position on the Public Housing, Section 8 or Verandas wait list by calling “My Wait List” at (501) 404-4133 and following the easy phone prompts.
I am single, do I qualify for Public Housing?
Yes, we recognize a single individual as a family unit.
How will I know if I am selected for housing?
Public Housing applicants will receive a letter from the Housing Authority notifying you that your name is near the top of the list. Additional information may be requested at that time. Depending on unit turnover, you will later be notified when a housing unit becomes available and be required to promptly contact us.

Section 8 applicants will receive a letter from the Housing Authority notifying you that your name is at the top of the waiting list. You will be required to provided backup documentation at that time so PGHA staff can determine final eligibility. If eligible, you may be invited to a voucher briefing at a later date.

  • It is very important that the information provided on the pre-application be kept current at all times as this is the only way we have to contact you.
  • Changes to address, contact information or income can be made by visiting the PGHA lobby at 340 Gulf Breeze Avenue, Punta Gorda, and completing a change form.
  • Additionally, income due to earned wages will gain a household a working preference and higher placement on the waiting list. Visit PGHA’s lobby and submit a change form as soon as possible. Or print a change form from the Downloads page, complete and mail to PGHA.
How old must I be to apply for housing?
You must be 18 years of age or older.
Is a security deposit required?
Yes. We charge the following:

  • 1 bedroom – $100
  • 2 bedroom – $200
  • 3 Bedroom – $300
  • 4 Bedroom – $400
What documents do I need to bring when I apply?
When an applicant submits a pre-application, no documents are required. When an applicant reaches the top of the wait list and is called for an appointment, the following documentation will be required:

  • Photo ID for ALL household members OVER THE AGE of 18.
  • Social Security Cards for ALL members of the household.
  • Birth Certificates for ALL members of the household – must be the State Certificate(s) not from the hospital. For non-U.S. born applicants: U.S. passport, Resident Alien or Naturalization card is necessary.
  • Verification of ALL household income, including but not limited to: Earned wages (4 pay stubs needed), Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC), food stamps, Child Support, Unemployment, Social Security/Disability award letter.
Is there a Pet Policy for Public Housing?
Yes, there is a Pet Policy with restrictions.